BY KEVIN MOE
Dean Sri Zaheer joined Associate Professor Paul Vaaler at the Minnesota State Fair in August for a special edition of “Business by Carlson” on News Radio 830 WCCO. In addition to discussing the school and the latest business news with host Dave Lee, the two entertained the crowd gathered at WCCO’s booth with Minnesota business trivia.
Among the questions that fairgoers tackled for Carlson School prizes (answers below):
- Minnesota’s General Mills makes the No. 1 best-selling cereal in the United States. What is it?
- The Mall of America in Bloomington is the second largest indoor mall in the United States. Minnesota is also the home of the country’s very first indoor mall, which opened in 1956. What is it?
- What bus company’s first route began in Hibbing, Minnesota in 1914?
- May 11, 1858 is the birthday of the state of Minnesota. May 11, 1937 is the birthday of what famous Minnesota canned meat product?
- The Toro Company, based in Bloomington, launched the first walk-behind version of what winter labor-saving device in 1951?
- St. Paul designer Reyn Guyer wanted to play volleyball in his living room, so he invented this foam ball in 1969. What is it?
- The Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, founded in 1902, officially changed its name to its popular nickname 100 years later in 2002. What was its nickname?
Paul Vaaler and “Business by Carlson” can be heard every Wednesday morning at 8:23 a.m. on WCCO.